• All heaters need space. Keep things that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.
• Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
• Install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instruction. Have a qualified professional install the equipment.
• Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. CO is created when fuels burn incompletely. CO poisoning can cause illness and even death. Make sure the venting for exhaust is kept clear and unobstructed. This includes removal of snow around the outlet to the outside.
• Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide.
• Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
Source: National Fire Protection Association
From the Officers and members of the Gales Ferry Fire Co. ; Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season