Same Day Registration
Election Day Registration permits anyone to register and vote in person on Election Day who meets the *eligibility requirements for voting in this state and is not already registered, OR is registered in one town but has moved to another town. By law, a person is eligible to register and vote if he or she is (1) a US citizen, (2) age 18 or older, (3) a bona fide resident of the town in which he or she applies for admission, and (4) has completed confinement and parole if previously convicted of a disfranchising felony.
Election Day Registration is not available at your polling place, but is available at a designated EDR location in each town, beginning at 6 am and ending at 8 pm. Please plan to arrive early in the day as there may be long lines. You must be registered by 8:00 PM in order to vote. You will need to provide proof of identity and residency.
A voter must bring the appropriate proof of identity and residency. See below for acceptable proof. The Election Day Registration process requires verification that the voter is not registered to vote in any other municipality in CT, or, if the voter is registered, election officials must determine that the individual has not voted in the other municipality by telephoning the corresponding Registrars of Voters.
The entire process includes voter registration, verification, and then finally the actual casting of a ballot. Depending on the popularity of this option and the individual voter’s circumstances, wait times can be lengthy.
Voter must appear in person. Must provide proof of identity and residence.
NOTE: Current DMV Connecticut Driver’s License/Non-Driver’s License/Learner’s Permit satisfy both proof of identity and residence. (Adhesive strip with change of address acceptable.)
Proof of Identity:
• Birth Certificate
• Social Security Card
• Oath of another elector or proof satisfactory to registrars (Reminder: identity ONLY)
• College photo ID, in place of birth certificate, license, or Social Security card • Driver License (Reminder: out of state OK for identity ONLY)
Proof of Residence (Examples):
• Current CT Driver License/Non-Driver License or Motor Vehicle Learners Permit
• Utility Bill—due no later than 30 days post-election
• Current college or university registration or fee statement
• Current Paycheck/Bank Statement
• Property tax bill
• Naturalization documents
• Passport (recent & includes residential address)