Emergency Heating Assistance

Program Details

Individuals needing assistance paying their heating bills this winter are encouraged to contact Thames Valley Council for Community Action (TVCCA) to apply for Connecticut Energy Assistance Program.
    401 W Thames Street
    Unit 201
    Norwich, CT 06360
  • Phone: 860-889-1365
  • Fax: 860-885-2738

Eligibility is based upon the Federal Poverty Guidelines

In some cases Ledyard Social Services is able to help residents with heating assistance. Funds are limited and applicants must provide the following documentation to be considered:
  • A valid ID
  • Proof of residence
  • Rent lease or mortgage statement
  • Four weeks of pay stubs
  • Workers comp payments (if applicable)
  • Unemployment payments (if applicable)
  • Social security disability payments (if applicable)
  • Pension payments (if applicable)
  • Social security payments (if applicable)
Ledyard Social Services reserves the right to deny any application that does not appear to be an appropriate use of available funds.

Additional Resources

  • Eversource Matching Payments Program - Program provides year round electric service and possible forgiveness of back balances to low-income electric heating customers. Call 1-800-286-2828 or 860-947-2828.
  • Eversource NUSTART - NUSTART is a program designed to give a fresh start to low-income customers whose income is below 200% of the federal poverty level and have a past-due balance of $100 or more on an Eversource bill. Call 1-800-286-2828 or 860-947-2828.
  • Project Warm-UP - Project Warm-UP is a heating assistance program of United Way of Southeastern CT (UWSECT) which collaborates with other local service providers to meet the home heating needs of families in New London County who are experiencing a short-term crisis. . Target beneficiaries of the program are those families that otherwise "fall through the cracks" or between guidelines of other local, state and federal assistance programs (i.e. individuals laid off due to downsizing, people experiencing unusual medical expenses and families in emergency). Applicants must first exhaust all other means of assistance available.
  • The Soldiers', Sailors', and Marines' Fund Assistance - This program provides limited assistance to veterans who are residents of Connecticut. Contact Information: Call 1-800-491-4941.
  • Utility Arrearage Forgiveness Programs - Many Connecticut utility companies have programs designed to help customers pay back portions of their overdue bills. To apply, contact your local utility company.
  • Winter Protection Program - This program is designed to prevent utility shutoff for "hardship cases" between November 1st and April 15th. To apply, contact your local utility company.
  • Yankee Gas Low Income Assistance - If you are having difficulties paying your natural gas bills, Yankee Gas can assist you with special payment arrangements tailored to your individual needs. Or, you may qualify for the Yankee Gas Winter Protection Plan, which will protect you from having your gas service turned off for nonpayment, typically between November 1 and mid-April each year. Call 1-800-438-2278.
  • Salvation Army - Contact Ledyard Social Services at 860-464-3222.